Saturday, May 28, 2011

Urban Decay palette reviews + perfume post

So first I'll do the next perfume post. The latest Gorilla perfume I tried was The Smell of Freedom. Freedom smells pretty good! I really liked this one, it was complex. It had a little bit of a warm scent like Vanillary but also had an underlying fresh type of scent, it's really hard to explain scents but basically I liked this one, probably one of my favorites so far. I have only two more to review and then I'll decided my favorites.

 So in my last blog I mentioned I would do a review of two Urban Decay palettes. I'll start with the Naked palette. Here is what it looks like:






It comes with 12 beautiful colors all in neutral shades. The colors from left to right are: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal. Virgin came out a little washed out in the pic, but it is a light, matte flesh tone. Actually it might have a tiny bit of a satiny finish to it, not quite matte.
If you don't know the whole story with this palette I'll explain it quickly. Basically it was HUGE when it came out, everyone wanted it and all the stores were selling out like crazy. Urban Decay couldn't make them fast enough to keep shelves stocked. So eventually, they decided that the reason they couldn't make them fast enough was that the double ended eyeliner pencil (it was half Zero-black and half Whiskey-brown) took too long to make. So they replaced the pencil with the brush you see in mine. They upped the price by a couple dollars because the brush is really good quality. And there you go. So at first I was like, eh, I kinda would rather have the eyeliners because even though I have two Zeros already and a small sized Whiskey, it goes with the palette and I already have brushes. Well I changed my mind when I tried out the brush. This is one awesome little brush guys. It is super silky yet it picks up an insane amount of color with minimal effort. It also came with a little baby tube of Primer Potion.
I think the reason this palette is so good to have is because all of the colors are work or school appropriate except for maybe the black, but if you're careful you still might be able to work that as an outer corner darkener. Yet, the colors are not boring, you can still punch it up for going out. Also, a lot of palettes have at least a few colors that are extremely similar and that always seems like a waste, but none of these colors are too alike. There are also a good mix of mattes, satins, shimmers and sparkles. They are also nicely pigmented.
So it's great for the younger crowd who are just getting into makeup and want to keep it neutral, yet its also great for the more mature crowd who want something natural enough for the office or who want eye makeup that won't make them look like a sparkle monster or too colorful. It's also good for anyone wanting to expand their collection. I have lots of neutrals, (too many, I admit it) yet this is still appealing because its slim, (good for travel) and all the colors go together so if I'm in a hurry I can just put together a really nice look very quickly.
So if you are wondering how to use this palette here are some ideas. If you are just starting out, try just wearing a single color on your lids and seeing which ones you like. I would recommend always wearing a primer on your lids because it will make the colors show up better and it will also keep the color on your lids all day without creasing or wearing off. I used to never like to wear browns or neutrals because my lids were a tiny bit dark and it seemed like I couldn't get enough color on there and then it would just fall off anyway. When I started using primer, this problem went away, the color came out true to how it was supposed to be and lasted until I took it off at night. Use Virgin or Sin under your brows as a highlight. Try Half Baked on the inner half of your lids and Toasted on the outer half with Darkhorse as a crease color. Or try Toasted on the lids with Hustle as a crease color. To keep it neutral line your upper lids with a brown eyeliner. For more drama line your upper lid with a black liquid liner and your waterline with a black pencil. One last thing, since your eyes are neutral you can afford to go a little bolder with your lips if you feel like it! There are tons of possibilities which is why I like this palette so much.


The next palette I want to review is the Urban Decay Roller Girl palette. This is so cute!

This palette comes with three neutral shades of eyeshadow plus a shocking pink/magenta and an eyeliner in Whiskey (brown) it's not quite full size but also not quite mini like the ones in the Jackpot box. I guess they call it travel size. It also comes with a mini lip gloss. The colors are left to right, Woodstock, Verve, Suspect and Darkhorse. I think this palette is adorable and versatile. You can wear the neutrals alone or really get fun by adding a touch of the bright pink. The lip gloss looks extremely bright but it goes on lighter than it looks in the tube. It is also a cooling/plumping gloss. To be honest, I just tried it today because I was afraid of the plumping part. My lips are sort of big anyway and I didn't want to look like a freak. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that all it did was smooth my lips out, filling out all those little lines that I get sometimes and hate, especially when my gloss or lipstick isn't moisturizing enough and makes my lips look dry. So here is the look I came up with for this one.





 In the first one, if you ignore the fact that my face looks really weird, you can see that I used Suspect on the lids, Darkhorse in the crease, being careful to blend it out well and also leaving the outer crease alone, and then put some Woodstock in the outer corner and used Verve as a highlight under my brows. In the second picture I added the gloss as well. I'm also wearing the eyeliner on the top and bottom lashlines and some mascara. (It's Bad Gal Lash from Benefit, I don't have any Urban Decay mascara yet). I love this look, I'm a fan of bright colors so it's perfect for me, but the neutrals work great for times when I need to play it down.

So there you have it, two awesome palettes from one of my favorite makeup brands. i hope you like it and I hope the pictures turn out well. Keep an eye out for the rest of my perfume reviews as well as more reviews, tutorials and other beauty randomness!

No comments:

Post a Comment